Monday, May 18, 2009

Quit Your Apathy

While choosing a name for this blog, I looked up the definition of the word "apathy"

Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.
I suppose my intended use of the word was to describe a general tendency that I've seen in a lot of my peers to be resigned or uninterested as far as current events or topics of heated debate are concerned.

I used to be very apathetic, which I mostly attribute to my blindly accepting everything that my family, peers, and Sunday School teacher told me.

Once I started to form my own opinions, I became passionate about them. Before they were my own, I was quite indifferent.

The most interesting thing I found out about the word "apathy", however, is that in the first ages of the church, the Christians adopted the term to express a "contempt of earthly concerns", and it was considered to be a positive attribute.

No matter what side of the issue you are on, there is a reason for passion and interest. Like they say,

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The only way to make sure people you agree with can speak is to support the rights of people you don't agree with." -Eleanor Holmes Norton